Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Oscar Fever Chills

A quickie entry before I go into a meeting about Oscar Week and then into another meeting about Oscar Week. It sort of feels like Easter, since this is somewhat of a resurrection. Everyone was afraid that the writers' strike would go on all month and that the Oscars telecast would be boycotted and all those horribly famous and glamourous folks wouldn't walk the red carpet.

But that didn't happen. The strike settled and now everyone's in a frenzy. Personally, I don't think it's that big a deal. The most significance it carries for me is all the street closures in Hollywood and the fact that I have an extra-long Sunday to work next week. Sometimes I think I just don't get this town.

Nothing much happening on the homefront. Things go along as scheduled. The highlight of the week was discovering what great meat Trader Joe's sells. I will never shop for meat at Ralphs ever again. The biggest anticipation of the week is making a quiche for dinner. I made my first quiche a few weeks ago (a right of passage for every gay man) and it was a little too custardy for me (I just don't have the Julia Childs gene): This time, more eggs and less milk. Life is a cabaret for sure.

Beuford has migrated from the fountain to under the umbrella on the patio, since we're expecting bits of rain off and on all this week. It will be cool (in the 60s) and hopefully not too windy. This is Southern California; we're not supposed to have weather.

What I'm really looking forward to is the week off I have after the Oscars. I'm heading up to Arroyo Grande to visit with the moms and Cousin Rick and his wife Candy. And my sister Kittie and her husband Dave. It should be a nice decompression from the hectic world of Oscar fever.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like another ho-hum day in Paradise, no?

K Shields said...

Yo Mark! So good to hear from you. I am off to my now traditional SWOON - Sisters' Weekend of Oscar Nirvana! Jane and Pat and I meet mid country, spend the weekend watching nominees, then spend Sunday eating, watching and relaxing. SO COOL! Check out my blog - back at you. Kathy
ksblogorama.blogspot.com