Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Arrival

The rings arrived at the jeweler's on Monday. Needless to say, we went down after I got home from work and picked them up. This picture doesn't do them justice. I just can't seem to get a sharp picture of them with my iPhone, and I'm ashamed to admit it, but I don't know how to turn on the camera. But trust me; they're really pretty.

One of the things I've been doing with my extra time at work is reading through the 172-page Supreme Court decision overturning the prohibition of same-sex marriage here in California. It's a really amazing document, and you can download it by clicking here. (Change the "Last 100 hours" to "Last 120 days" and click "View." Look for May 15, S147999, In re Marriage Cases, about halfway down the page.) It's a really amazing document; even more so considering such a thoroughly humanistic document was written by a Republican. Maybe we should give them a little more slack than we have.

So download the decision and wade through it. I have a highlighted version that I'm working on at work, so I may make that available, in case you want to jump over all the citations and footnotes.

Steve's doing well at the new job. It has all the problems of working for a small firm, which comes down to a small group of personalities with no corporate structure to stifle them. He's good with people, though, and I think the bosses are starting to realize he knows what he's doing and his presence will solve a lot of ongoing problems in the accounting arena.

I've been working on several things at The Reporter, including a stand-alone issue that's going to publish at the Beijing Olympics on the same day that we're getting married (Aug. 8).

The powers that be have decided that we're not going to publish on Columbus Day, Veteran's Day and the week between Christmas and New Year's to save some money in this dismal economy. Luckily, I have just enough vacation and personal days left to take this time off and get paid for it. I put in my requests today and should know in a week or two if I have the time off.

Not much else to report. Things are going well. Looking forward to the nuptials and having our relationship validated like everyone else's, rather than having the condescending label of "domestic partnership" slapped on what is a really great relationship.

Everybody vote in November. And, if you're in California, you know what to do!

No comments: