Saturday, August 9, 2008

Get Me to the Park On Time

Well, it's official: Beuford has two daddies. So do the cats, Buddy and Marcel, but since they consider us house servants, I suppose it doesn't mean much to them. Steve and I were both nervous, but it was a going-to-Disneyland-for-the-first-time nervous and not a having-major-surgery nervous.

It happened Friday, which was 8-8-08. Supposedly a lucky day to get married. We took the appointment because it was available, but it did end up being lucky, and we all had a great time.

Steve and I picked up John (his best man) in South Pasadena and we drove to West Hollywood, where the service took place. A block and a half from City Hall in a little pocket park called Kings Road Park, the coordinator and officiant were waiting. We had decided on a theme of Hawaiian shirts, since it was easy to pull off and the weather was hot. It turned out to be a great success, with everyone coordinating and blending into the lush green of the park.

Cousin Robin (my best man) and her husband Evan (to whom we are indebted for the photos) had arrived a few minutes before us and had gone up the street to get bananas at Gelson's market. (I don't know if this had anything to do with the fact that she had bananas on her print dress or not.)

We filled out the final paperwork (keeping inside the boxes, which seemed extremely important to the county government), then found the small flowered arch set up in the back of the park for the ceremonies. Our officiant was Lunita Bock (normally the HR manager for the city), and after a few questions, we had a short, sweet ceremony. When we exchanged rings, I put out my right hand but caught the mistake in time. (this is what the reheasal is for, I guess), and in no time at all, we were married people. Everybody cried at some point, but not to the point of disrupting the ceremony.

Afterwards, the five of us went to the French Market just up the street on Santa Monica where Robin and Evan presented us with a wedding gift of a pair of lovely champagne flutes from Tiffany's. We all had a late lunch and lots of fun gab. John was definitely taken with Robin and Evan, and said so repeatedly on the ride back to South Pasadena.

We spent the rest of the day kicking back and getting used to the feel of the rings on our fingers. I've never been one for wearing jewelry, but this ring is so comfortable. It fits very nicely, and it feels natural wearing it. I do have to say I'm thankful I couldn't legally get married 20 or 30 years ago, because I would have been divorced at least once by this point. I'm glad it happened when I was in love with someone who I know is a really great part of my life, and I want to keep him in it forever.

So far I haven't seen any heterosexual marriages suffering because of our own wedded bliss. I think that's a fear that folks will soon realize was totally unfounded. If anything, same-sex marriage will help bolster the institution which so many feel so compelled to protect from the queer nation.

This evening is a reception of sorts at El Paseo Inn on Olvera Street in Los Angeles. I chose it because of its proximity to the hotel where Brother Steve and family are overnighting before their return to Wisconsin (a blog about my visit with them on the Central Coast will follow soon). It seems appropriate, since what was a dinner for them has morphed into a reception dinner for us. And since Olvera Street is the birthplace of Los Angeles, it seems fitting as the start of what will become a California tradition in no time at all: Rejoicing that we all have the same rights and freedoms.

No comments: