Friday, December 18, 2009

Vintage Santa

Not a lot to report today, but I wanted to put in an entry so I could continue with the holiday video treats. This one is from Disney, circa 1932. Color was still a big thing back then.

It's interesting to note that Santa's house looks an awful lot like Sleeping Beauty's Castle at Disneyland. And those elves aren't unlike the happy human fodder who work for the Disney magic factory even today. See if you can spot the four places where Walt indulges in that campy '30s racism he's so famous for (a hint: two blacks, two asians and a Jew).



I have two classes next week and then things kind of shut down for the holiday week, not starting up until Jan. 5. Also, next Tuesday I will have my phone interview with EDD concerning my eligibility for CTB (California Training Benefits), which will continue my unemployment payments while I'm studying (which will be through April). It's been six weeks since they halted my unemployment benefits, so I really could use a continuation of the money flow. We're scraping through the holidays just fine, though and, monetarily, things should be back to normal in the middle of January.

I finally got my Christmas shopping done on Thursday. There was one item I had been searching for for the last two weeks and I finally located it. Now all I have left is shopping for the stocking stuffers for Steve. I am horrible at finding decent stocking stuffers. I think it's because they have to be small, and my eye goes to big, shiny things this time of year.

Hope everyone is doing well. I am looking forward to seeing everyone at Mom's memorial at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 2. Should be a pretty good party. So, until then, Happy Holidays everybody!

No comments: