Thursday, July 8, 2010

End of the Tunnel?

On Friday, a well-recommended contractor stopped by in the early evening and talked with us about the remodeling we've been planning for the condo. It was actually a two-man operation: one of the guys is the construction expert and the other one was more skilled in interior design. We were impressed with them and said we would send them information which they could use to give us an estimate.

The Fourth of July weekend started with a bit of good news. Seems one of the folks at Steve's work quit on the spot, so Steve is now working full time ... for now. As a worn-down existentialist, it made me feel good. Nice way to start a three-day weekend.

We had corn on the cob and hamburgers on Saturday, and hot dogs and corn on the cob (with potato salad) on Sunday, and went over to our friend John's for dessert (which magically included egg salad sandwiches and watermelon) and watched the fireworks in South Pasadena which appear over the church on the corner where he lives.

And Saturday we went out to flooring outlet sales rooms to collect information on what we might want to do with the first phase of remodeling (from the floor up, as they say). On Monday, Steve gathered together the information we had gotten (he took lots of photos of materials, etc.), and sent the information off for the estimate.

Tuesday morning, I had a message on my cell phone. A person from McGraw-Hill had called from their New York office. When I called back I found myself on the receiving end of a phone interview for a job I had applied to a month ago.

The interview went really well, and the guy interviewing me said I should be getting a call from the HR person in Monrovia in the next couple days.

My God. A second interview. I immediately got out my portfolio and started rearranging things for a presentation.

This is one one of those jobs that, when you read the description, you think to yourself, "This was made for me. I'd be really good in this position." It's working on a group of architectural and construction trade magazines which McGraw-Hill publishes from its Monrovia offices. That's only about seven miles from home, so the commute wouldn't be bad at all. And the pay grade is right around what I was getting at The Hollywood Reporter, so it would be picking things up, economically, and continuing on.

I didn't hear from the HR person today. I'm waiting to hear from him tomorrow (I was actually given his name). If I don't hear from him by the end of Friday, I'm calling New York back on Monday to goose things a little.

Yeah, I know it's just an interview (well, a second interview), and there are probably eight or 10 people that they're interviewing for the same position, but it seems just so right for me.

So the portfolio is all set and spruced up. I've practiced the presentation, I'm ready for the interview. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that this is the end of unemployment: a new place to be, a new set of challenges to call my own. The end of unemployment checks, the beginning of real paychecks. Or maybe not. Prayers, please, people; prayers to add to my own.

It's a year since I was officially separated from the Nielsen Company. In August I exhaust my unemployment payments. In December I lose my COBRA health supplemental payments. Getting this job could be another one of those skin-of-our-teeth experiences that God puts us through to remind us how fragile things are on this planet.

I'll post an update when appropriate. Until then, happy thoughts; very happy thoughts, everyone.

No comments: