Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Yes, It's Prime

2011 is a prime number. They are rarer than nonprimes, of course, and there are fewer of them as the numbers get larger. There are only 14 prime-numbered years this century and we've already seen two (2003 and 2011). The next one won't be until 2017.

So something great has to happen this year, right? Looking back on 2003, there wasn't a whole lot of great stuff going on that year. I vacationed in Paris alone, which was probably the highlight of the year. We got the governator (French news was full of the governor's race in California, covering it like a circus. I had a "Family Guy" T-shirt that said "Stewie for Governor" and it was a hit with Parisians; seems the French really like "Family Guy" and Stewie in particular.

But nothing of interest has happened this year. Saturday we stayed home and watched the Rose Parade on TV, saw the stealth bomber go roaring past our living room window. Had real French Toast for breakfast. Here's a photo of the beginning of the parade, live and as it happened on my television.

Sunday we went shopping. Monday and Tuesday, I searched for new jobs online but found none. The rest of the time I spent watching tutorials on HTML 5, which is the new markup language for web design. I want to be up to speed with it by the time it comes into widespread use.

I caught a photo of Patty sitting on top of the Complete Works of William Shakespeare, keeping regal watch over the holiday decorations. It also shows off my first successful indoor plant. It was about half this size when I got it a few months ago.

Our tradition is to put up the holiday decorations as soon after Thanksgiving as convenient, and to take them down the first weekend after Jan. 6, which, of course, is the Epiphany (and also the upcoming weekend).

With Steve and I both sporting the latest iPhones now, hopefully there will be more photographic chronicling in the blog this year. The biggest challenge for me is remembering to take the photos in the first place.

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it seem like this year is starting off awfully slow? Compare and contrast: Comments, as always, accepted.

No comments: