Friday, February 4, 2011

C'mon, Corporate America

I keep seeing these reports on studies that show that 64% of companies are planning to add employees in the next six months, and I do seem to see a lot more jobs showing up online, but it hasn't translated into a position for me … so far. I'm still sending out four to eight resumes a week, and I plan to get a little more aggressive. I'm starting to send out resumes for copy writing positions, since I know I can do that, and I would be really good at it.

Well, here it is: the picture of the carrot cake. I was going to take a shot of it when it only had a couple pieces out of it and had a really Betty-Crocker look, but forgot. And, yes, it came out looking as sloppy as it seems in the picture.

The recipe was pretty good, except there were way too many pecans (it called for 1 1/2 cups; I'd say 1/2 cup would be plenty) and there weren't any raisins. Then there was hand-grating three cups of carrots (about six or seven large ones).

To cap it off, the frosting recipe came out really runny. I would have put it into the refrigerator to let it set up, but it was 12:45 a.m. by the time the cake cooled, and I wanted to slap the cake together and get to bed. Altogether, it was a good dessert, but I would have to work on it to make it more to my liking.

This weekend we get to seal the slate on the patio, since winter it taking its toll on it, and we'll be back into the sunny mid- and upper-70s, so things will dry in short order. I'm hoping it will look really cool when it's done, with the colors looking deep and not all washed out, like now.

That's all for now. I'm trying to focus on the fact that things are fine and not focus on the stress and anxiety of not having a job. Somehow, I think releasing all that angst around unemployment is going to be one of the keys to getting employed again: Sounds really Zen, I know, but I believe it's part of the equation.

No comments: