Friday, March 7, 2014

Leavin' on a Jet Plane

I've got all the errands done. The only surprise was the car didn't pass the smog test. The emissions part of the test it passed with flying colors, but there's something with the onboard computer that needs tweaking, so that will be the first order of business when I get back. Other than that, bills are all paid, taxes are in, banking is done, I can leave town fairly confident no disasters will greet me on my return home.

Noela, my former compatriot at the Hollywood Reporter, came by Wednesday evening with her daughter Aria, who is taking care of the cats while I'm gone. Noela is a jewel, now working at UCLA, and Aria couldn't be nicer. We walked through the cat food and litter box scenarios, and things went well. They'll be coming over every couple days to do cat duty and, if the cats ever show their faces, be a little company.

After some thought, I'm putting together a trousseau that will work in climates from 15° to 80° F. Cousin Robin suggested silk long johns, ("Right," I told her. "I'll just hop on down to Target and pick up a couple pair."). Candy (who, along with husband Rick will be picking me up on the first leg of my journey) said they just have heavy jackets they wear, but that they're probably used to the cold.

In Alaska (in 1972), I had a brown nylon parka that kept me toasty warm. It survived my return to California, and I used now and then, but literally fell apart 25 years after I bought it.

So I start with a light T-shirt, then add long-sleeved shirt and/or a sweater, then a hoodie, all under my magic travel coat (more on that in a future blog). That should do it.

Just about the time this scheme is gelling in my mind, Jessie comes by to have a bon voyage dinner with me. Lots of talk, sharing, excellent observations, and all the things that make hanging out with Jessie such a pleasure. It's really nice having her home. (She spent the last several years teaching in schools overseas.)

We went out to Hamburger Hamlet, only to find it had morphed into a Dupar's (famous for their pies). The menu has gone down a couple notches, but Jessie and I were both in the mood for pie. She had the avocado bacon and jack cheese burger (I think that was the combo) and I had the fish and chips.

Jessie enjoyed the burger, but then she was in the mood for that, as well. The fish was good, though the tartar sauce mundane and the fries unremarkable. The pie (Jessie: blueberry a la mode; Mark: coconut cream) was worth the trip, although the crust was a little dense.

Jessie also has a set of keys. She's going to drop in on the cats for a couple hours once or twice a week. I told her that if she wants someplace to escape, feel free to stay here for a day or two. I know I've had times when house-sitting was almost like a vacation, because it took me out of my usual environment, but not out of my solitude, which was important to me at the time.

After Jessie dropped me off, At-Home Final Prep began: wardrobe choices were made and the packing continued. It became obvious that not all the stuff would fit into the carry-on bag, so the socks and underwear got shifted to my shoulder bag, which has my laptop and all my personal stuff (boarding passes, itinerary info, purchase and confirmation receipts, snacks, chargers and ear buds, DVDs to watch, etc.). Okay; it's a purse. There's no other way you could lug that much crap around. But it folds into a butch-looking soft-sided briefcase, so that makes it okay.

I've got everything accommodated, though I had to 86 the sports coat and pair of dress shoes as undoable. All is awaiting my final ablution, after which I close the ditty bag, stow it in the small cavity assigned to it in the carry-on, and close up everything.

The last list is To Do Before You Go. Stuff like making sure the coffee maker is turned off. And the heater. And the stove. And a couple lights are on. And doors are locked.

I'm getting that preflight nausea that comes with packing. Tomorrow (well, today now) is not going to be just another day, like all the other days since I've found myself alone. Today is the beginning of the first adventure in the rest of my life. (Soon I will devolve to "War is not healthy for children and other living things.") And this is the clearest turning point in my life since Steve asked me to be his domestic partner (and later, husband). Except I'm going through this one alone.

I will sincerely try to remember and take pictures. I will sincerely try to post to the blog during the trip.

Someone asked me why I didn't post an itinerary here, and I said I didn't want people to know where I was going or how long I would be gone. In fact, I've spent a fair amount of space talking about  the fact that people will be dropping in at unexpected hours, and that some days there may be someone here all day: you never know. This makes it that much harder to rob the house, if someone had a mind to.

Besides, you'll have to keep checking the blog to find out where I am. Those of you who know me well enough will be able to guess when I tell you I'm visiting siblings and cousins. And the first stop is cold, and Rick and Candy are picking me up. One last hint: I had to renew my passport to fly to my first stop.

Pictures. Copy. Pictures. Copy. Your Phone Is Your Camera. Your Camera Is Your Phone.
I will take pictures. I will take pictures, I will I will I will I will I will take pictures.

No comments: