Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I Have a Web Site, Therefore I Am

Yeah, I know I haven't been writing in the past couple weeks here, but there's been a really good reason. School, first of all. I'm doing a lot of my studying at home now, since the labs at the Burbank facility are always overflowing, and unless you get there first thing in the morning, you'll have to wait around for someone to leave before you can get a station at which to work.

Second, and more important in an existential sense, is my Web site. I've been working on this daily for the last three weeks or so. Being my first Web site, every time I turned around there was something not working, something new to discover or learn about the coding, the styling of the text, links that didn't work, one character missing or added to code that threw everything off. And of course, everything on the site needed to be generated from scratch. Hundreds of pieces, big and small, that all had to be a very certain size and labeled and organized in a very certain way.

But it's done. The beta version of the site is up and running. I've made a few tweaks already, but it's pretty much there, as far as I can tell, and it works in every browser on which I've previewed it.

So take a look: www.markmcddesign.com. It's basically a place to showcase my design and writing work.

But it also has taught me a hell of a lot about the design process on the Web. It's very structured and not at all intuitive. You have to have a solid battle plan when you go in to start the work, and keeping things organized and well-labeled is of paramount importance.

Now that it's up and running, it's a big thing out of my hair, and opens my time up for hardcore studies getting ready for the ACE exams in May. Also, I promised cousin Robin that I would put together a site her for, so that's next on the list.

Hope everyone's doing well. Next entry, maybe I'll actually have some photos to share. The Web site will have to do for now, though. Enjoy.

No comments: