Friday, May 14, 2010

I'm Taking You Home, Baby

Please forgive the huge gap between blog entries, but my computer died on Sunday evening, just as I was about to make an entry (no, really; I wasn't just playing computer games and the screen suddenly went black). Well, I was finishing up a computer game and planning on making an entry, when there was a little click and the display looked like this.

Black. The computer would turn off and turn on, all the things inside were spinning and whirring, but nothing on the screen. Monday I called Apple Support, which is not located on the subcontinent, but in Cupertino in California. We went through all kinds of diagnostics (which always makes you feel so smart because you're in on it), but to no avail. Chris (the Apple guy) said it was most likely a hardware issue. Luckily, the machine is still under warranty.

So I took it into Di-No Computers (the world's best computer store for Macs and their maintenance and repair) and they took a look at it. At first they thought it was the LCD display itself and ordered a new one. On Wednesday they called and said it wasn't the display but the inverter circuits (but of course), so they were ordering that piece. Today (Friday) they called and said it was ready. I was so happy. I have really missed the machine, and when I'd done all the paperwork and left the store with it, I put it in the back of the car and said, "I'm taking you home, baby."

That kind of bothered me, because it was spontaneous.

This leads us to the next image I have to share. It's the cat, of course, and here Patty is, involved in her favorite evening activity: When Steve and I come upstairs to get into our robes (loungewear, we call them), Patty races upstairs in front of us and, as soon as the lights come on in the bedroom, she starts chasing the shadows. She just loves chasing shadows. It's the highlight of her day.

Of course, we get a real kick out of it and dance our hands around in the air to drive her crazy. But it got me to thinking about my ardor for my computer. It is my connection to the world, my major work tool, a conduit for my self-expression and my job search. It is my entertainment and my news source. It was really weird not to have it during the week, worrying that a job opportunity would pass me by because I couldn't get a resume out (over the Internet, of course).

Never mind that I have an iPhone and check my e-mail several times a day on that device. Not having the machine sitting in front of me on the desk, not having the programs I'm so familiar with available for my immediate use, I felt lost. For the first time since I was laid off last June, I sat in front of the TV during the day and watched movies. (To be fair, I also cleaned out the entire pantry and reorganized it and did the same with the office). But I rely so much on this device.

I can't help but think that a lot of the time we all spend in front of our computers is just chasing shadows: An acceptable pastime here in the 21st century. And creating so much of my graphics work on a computer now, I can't help but recall my days at college when I had a drafting table and a T-square and I created all my work on vellum paper and illustration board with ruling pens and India ink and registered overlays. All those accoutrements are antiques now.

But it does make me think about the time I spend in front of my best electronic friend, iMac. I need to make sure I put that time to good use, like writing a blog. Right?

No comments: