Friday, May 27, 2011

Just Around the Corner

Well, I had the interview with the woman who called me in Wisconsin while I was busy packing to get home. She was leaving L.A. the day I was arriving, so we didn't meet until yesterday (Thursday). It was a rather unique meeting.

We arranged to meet at 9:30 a.m. at the Corner Bakery, an upscale coffee-sandwich-pastry place on South Lake (which has been described as "the Rodeo Drive of Pasadena," though I don't think it's nearly that pretentious). So I got my portfolio together and shlepped down Lake and got to the shop a minute or two early. She had said she'd be the one with the newspapers (samples of their publications) but, looking around, I realized about a third of the folks in the place had newspapers, seeing as they were having their morning coffee.

I gave her a call and got her voice mail. Left a message and got in line for a latte (can't have just regular coffee in a place like this). By the time I had given my order, as I was waiting for it, she called back and said she was on her way. I snagged a table in the corner that looked large enough to spread out my book on for display and waited.

It was a really good interview, and (I knew we've heard this before) I think I have a really good shot at the position. Doesn't pay much, and it's only part-time, but it's enough to cover the bills and, from what she said, the position will probably go to full-time salaried over the course of the next few months.

So I'm kicking back today and got a call from an agency that's trying to fill a contract position with Disney for a three-month gig creating marketing and merchandising collateral/point-of-purchase graphics for some big push that's coming up for them. After the interview on the phone, the guy said he'd put my name in the hopper.

This afternoon, I took two overripe bananas and made banana bread. (Steve buys them to put in his lunch, and I think he's been getting extras just so there'll be leftovers and I will be compelled to make bread instead of throwing them out.) It's a really good recipe:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
Cream the butter and sugar, add the eggs and beat until fluffy. Add the bananas and beat until smooth. Fold in dry ingredients in two parts. Turn dough into loaf pan. Bake 1 hour at 350°. Let sit 15 minutes, then remove from pan and cool.
So easy an idiot can make it.

Well, Steve's home from work, so I'm signing off: This is the start of a three-day weekend for him. For me it only means no mail on Monday. Hopefully that will change soon.

Happy Memorial Day, and remember all those who died so we can have the luxury of whining about high gas prices, failing diets and our low-end kitchen finishes. God bless America.

No comments: