Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Fumed Glass and Existence

I was really depressed earlier today. Now I'm starting to get pissed. And writing in public when you're pissed off is really now a wise thing to do. But here goes:

I'm really pissed off at people who call you in for an interview, spend over an hour talking to you, and then never contact you to let you know whether or not you've gotten the position. I'm especially pissed at people who, after I have left a voice mail or dropped an e-mail, cannot simply respond with "Someone else got the job."

Five MF'ing words: How much F'ing effort does that take, and how little respect are you showing to those who spent time and effort to meet with you, present their portfolios, discuss their backgrounds and hope, perhaps, that you liked what you saw and might hire them? If you rejected ten interviewees, that totals 50 words: you're either lazy or gutless and extremely rude.

I'm also really pissed off at people on Facebook who whine and whine and whine about how horrible their job is; what a rat race their lives are. Hey, sucker; give me the job. I'll swap whatever crap you're putting up with for two years of unemployment any day.

As you might have guessed, this last week have been very meager in the new job postings department. I think I sent out two resumes altogether. Also, you might have guessed that my unemployment runs out at the end of this month; then I'm on savings alone.

Speaking of spending money, Steve's birthday was June 9. I went to the store and got some really nice steaks. I was thinking of what to get him as a present when Seekers Glass Gallery in Cambria called me: the Esteban Prieto glasses I had requested last time we were up there had come in, and did I want them? The timing was too good, so I ordered two of them to complete our set and had them shipped to his office. Life can't be too bad, after all, if I can splurge on hand-blown, signed and dated tumblers for my honey. (I figure the money I saved by cooking a meal at home was offset by the shipping charges.)

So, the great teat of unemployment benefits is drying up, and I've decided that when I reach their end, if haven't gotten gainful employment, I am going to go ahead and file all the paperwork necessary to start a studio. I figure making some money on my own will at least slow down the consumption of the savings and, perhaps, get me going locally as a designer. It certainly beats sitting at home, sending out resumes, trying to find addresses and phone numbers where I can follow up with HR people when HR people are meticulous about isolating themselves absolutely from anyone remotely interested in earnest employment.

So here is a copy of the beta version of my business logo. See what you think of it.

With the "McD," I've tried to get as far away from golden arches as I possibly could. The name of the company is the same as my website: "Mark McD design," with the subtitle of "graphic communications design." I'm going to have to revamp my business website, since right now it's designed and geared toward employers to show off my work. Now I will have to focus on mercantile customers, emphasizing personal service and excellent pricing.

And, of course, just as soon as I've spent all the money on permits and fictitious business statements and business cards, et al., I will be offered full-time employment and take it. That's how my life seems to work these days: not tragically disastrous, just profoundly, thought-provoking irritating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark,
So sorry for your woes and those awful people who don't call you back.
Suggestion - find sites for non-profits that need a face lift and volunteer to do it for them. I was on the Boulder Creek site today and the links are broken, dates are old etc. No one in the little town is taking care of it. That kind of thing. Gets your name out and is good juju.

Miss you and am sending good vibes - so fill those cups and have a drink. You deserve it all.
Kathy Shields