Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Proofing Posts, Whipping Out Logos

Rereading my last post, I realize I should proofread more carefully, especially when I'm typing passionately and the hour is late.

I've spent a fair amount of time this last week reviewing the logo I showed you last time and decided to dump it completely. The new logo, seen here, is much sharper and works well in the various incarnations it has as business card, stationery, etc. Also, it's a two-color design rather than a four-color, which will save money. It's actually based on the first full graphic design I ever did in college. It looked good back then, and it looks good here, I think.

On the job front, more positions have presented themselves on the job boards this week and I have dutifully applied to anything within a 35-mile radius. There's a company that manufactures quick-set concrete, a concern that imports decorative tofu candles from Viet Nam, a design firm in West L.A., Princess Cruises in Santa Clarita (direct marketing materials) and a quick-print shop in Encino (which has horrible reviews on the web). I have two resumes out now that I'm interested in which are hitting the two-week mark (when you start expecting you won't be getting a call); a page layout position with L.A. Weekly (union and only 30 hours a week, but with benefits) and a general design position at Claremont McKenna College.

The highlight of the job search this week is that the American Film Institute is again advertising a graphic design position with their Creative Services Department. The job description fits me to a tee, and I think I would be great at it. And I know I would really fit in, since I am such an aficionado of Hollywood and film history, and a card-carrying member of the organization, to boot. I'm going to drop an enthusiastic e-mail on top of submitting the resume, and I'm trying to get an ex-coworker from the Reporter (now at Variety) who knows the president of AFI to put in a good word. In any case, I'm going to do my level best to land this one. Best perk if I got the job: I would be able to take the light rail and subway to work, with no bus rides.

So I'm in a better mood this week. Upon reflection, I realize that some people, especially those who have never endured long unemployment, probably don't stop to think what it's like to be in that situation.

For your amusement, here is a shot of the glasses I was talking about in the last post: we have four of the old-fashioned glasses, and Steve's present means we now have four of the tumblers. They're really very handsome glasses, you see.

Also some good news this week: one of the owners in our condo complex (14 units) has put her place up for sale and is asking $349,000 for it. Whether it sells for that or not, I'm not sure, but the place is not nearly as well-appointed as our unit (which will be even more well-appointed once I'm back at work and we can update the kitchen and baths some), and ours is an end unit, which usually go for a bit more, since there's more windows and fewer shared walls.

So, once again, I realize that, financially, we're doing just fine. I have to take complete responsibility for my frustration and admit that I am really missing not having a professional place to which I can commit myself and my career. AFI would definitely leave me with an overflowing cup. Princess Cruises would be nice if we could get good deals on trips. Tofu candles I could live with, but I think that would be more of a job and less of a career.

Once again, at the end of a post without anything amazing (or even interesting) to report. But, one of these days; one of these days, I'll have amazing news. I just hope it happens sometime really soon.

No comments: