Thursday, July 2, 2009

Friends of MJ; Summons and Severance

When you go on a cruise, they use a code in the ship activities schedule for what could be considered untoward groups that meet on the ship. If you see a meeting of "Friends of Bill," that means AA meetings. If you see a meeting of "Friends of Dorothy," that means gay people. Now we have a new one: "Friends of Michael," which means folks who are so compelled by Michael Jackson's music or persona that they go to Hollywood and wait on the hot sidewalk in order to look at his star on the sidewalk.

Then there are those like me, "Friends of Friends of Michael"; folks who go to Hollywood and stand across the street from all the people waiting on the hot sidewalk in order to look at his star.

Yes, that's what I did today. I just had to get out of the house, had to do some walking, and Hollywood Boulevard in the summer is just the place to do that if you want to lose yourself in a huge crowd without paying an entrance fee. The crowds outside Grauman's Chinese Theater are usually big, but they were shoulder to shoulder today. I didn't even attempt to walk on that side of the street.

Beyond the Friends of Michael, there's the usual tourists that pack the street. They come to see the stars on the sidewalk, of course, and the footprints in front of Grauman's and the Kodak Theater, where the Oscars are handed out each year. If you look down the street, you see Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum, the Wax Museum and, of course, the Hollywood McDonald's.

I took the Gold Line into Union Station from Pasadena and then transferred to the Red Line subway for the trip up to Hollywood Boulevard. I got off at the Hollywood/Highland station, which is just down the block from the scene depicted above. A walk down to the Roosevelt Hotel at the corner of Orange was far enough to take in the scene.

After that, I went down to Mel's Drive-In, which is not a drive-in at all. It's an ersatz '50s diner with passable food. Had an avocado burger (bacon cheeseburger with avocado on it), then walked down the boulevard to the Hollywood/Vine station (about a mile's walk) to get back on the subway. Just up Vine Street is the Capitol Records building.

There was talk about making this into condos a little while back, but I think it was scrapped when all the condos they've already built in converted buildings in this area did so poorly in sales.

Getting into the Hollywood/Vine station is sort of daunting, since there is construction on three sides of it (which should provide a neat shopping-living space once it's completed.

I love this subway station. This is how we do subway stations in Los Angeles. I think it's the coolest one in existence anywhere on the planet. If you ever visit Hollywood, you've got to stop at this subway station. Look closely at the vaulted ceiling in the photo: it's covered with empty film reels all painted sky blue; really looks great with the Egyptian motif. Down on the platform: a yellow brick road and film frames lining the walls where the trains stop. So cool.

From there, it was back down to Union Station (which is also a must-see if you're visiting L.A.), then onto the Gold Line and back home to Pasadena. The whole trip was really pleasant. The weather was in the mid-80s in Hollywood and not quite 90 here in Pasadena when I returned. Summer is definitely here.

But there's more.

When I got home, I checked the mail and discovered a jury summons for yours truly. Wow: everyone's paying attention to me these days. At least I have the time right now to do this most noble of civic duties. And they have made it very easy and as painless as legally possible here in L.A. county.

So I filled out the form and was dialing up the by-phone registration system when the front gate buzzer sounded. It was the FedEx guy with a package for me. It was the severance papers for my job at Nielsen. Wow: more attention.

Inside were duplicate severance documents (a contract of sorts with whereas's and therefore's and lots of painfully dense legal wording. It basically said I wouldn't tell any secrets I knew (which is none) or steal any clients or work for any competing companies or say horrible things about the Nielsen Corporation. Also that I won't come back at some point in the future and sue them for something. (What's to sue for? Providing seven years of enjoyable employment with good compensation in an exciting publication? Providing the best entry on my resume or forcing me to produce the dozens of great designs that are now resident in my portfolio?)

Now why would I do something mean or spiteful to them/it? I had a really good time while I was working there. And I can't blame them for the steps they took to make sure that the corporation stays healthy through this lousy economic period. And, hey, I made it through three other layoffs, so they knew my value. And, to be honest, this time around I'm almost sorrier for those left behind than for me. It's going to be tough to put out the paper every day with the meager crew that's left the in editorial department. But they're all extremely talented and hardworking people, and they'll make it through. (In case you didn't notice, I'm saying nice things about them/it. I don't want it/them mad at or upset with me, 'cause I need the severance pay!)

So I read over the six-page document carefully and have no problems. Just don't ask me to be one of those Nielsen families, because the paperwork is a headache (I know; I did it once for them way back when).

Steve got home for work about the time I was getting into all this paperwork. And, awful person that I am, I told him I was coming up to the office to study some more Flash tutorials, but I ended up doing this blog entry instead. Am I going to hell for that or what?

So I have a month before I have jury duty. Hopefully I don't get empaneled on some multi-month case. Although, with unemployment, it might be an interesting thing to have happen. Ooo. Oooo. How about some celebrity case that I'll be able to write a book about and make a million dollars. It could happen. I buy a lottery ticket every week, and that's a lot more unlikely.

No comments: