Sunday, July 26, 2009

No Clever Title

Nope. No clever title: Just not up to it this week. No pictures, either. I went up to visit for a couple of days in Arroyo Grande and took absolutely no pictures. Nada. Spent my time with the moms, mostly, but did get a chance to hit the Sycamore Springs hot tubs.

Paula (my mom) seems to be doing okay for being eighty-whatever. She putters around the house and has organized her environment to take care of the daily things (like having a very reasonable shopping service, a daily dogwalker and a catalog of eateries from which you can order meals.

Kit (my aunt) is getting along, but it's obvious she's weak. She can make it from the living room to her room or the bathroom well enough that she forgets her walker which everyone reminds her to use.

I originally went up to visit the moms because they must be so lonely, but the few days I was there, folks were coming and going all day and into the evening. It made me feel a lot better that there were so many caretakers checking in on them. And, of course, my sister Kittie and her husband David were by whenever feasible.

Another unique aspect to this trip up the coast was that I drove my car. Normally I take the train up and commandeer one of the moms' cars. I drove during the day, so things weren't too bad, although you can't drive very far in California anymore that you don't run into a traffic jam on some freeway.

I got back to Pasadena on Friday afternoon and have been spending the weekend with Steve since then. He's presently attending a homeowners association meeting, since he's one of the officers this year, I think. He took a clipboard with him, so I think he's some kind of official.

It's nice here in the 21st century, though: I was away for three days and kept up on my job search on my iPhone. If I had thought of it, I would have downloaded my resume files to mom's computer, then I could have applied from there.

But I wasn't up there for that, and I would rather spend the time with the moms. And Aunt Kit doesn't speak computer, so it might have been considered downright rude.

And apologies to those of you who missed my presence. I promise to connect up on the next ride up.

No comments: