Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Alone in Semiprivate Land

Ed is gone. Gone gone gone. When I walked into Steve's room on Tuesday afternoon, they were making his bed and clearing out his jetsam. There were three or four people in the room, including the physical therapy assistant who was working with Steve. I made several smarmy comments about how much more pleasant the room seemed without SOABMA Ed, and everyone gave a look or a nod in complete agreement.

The sling is now off Steve's right arm, and he's actually using the hand for some things (like working the TV remote). You can tell he's still weak on that side if you hold his hand, but it's working, and he has a little gel ball to squeeze and work the muscles.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is his mental condition: after almost three weeks of laying in bed and staring at the walls, he sometimes isn't focused on what's going on, and you have to say things twice, especially if it's a double entendre or something that takes making a jump in thinking. His next doctor's appointment is Oct. 30, and when I talked to the administrator about transporting him, she said that, most likely, I'll be able to load him up in the car and drive him over.

The best thing people can do for him right now is call him on his cell phone (send me an e-mail if you don't have the number and I'll get it to you). Just to say hello. Don't expect great acuity on the other end of the line, but he's not muddle-headed, either.

A lot of the time, he's trying to hear the caller while there are announcements over the public address system, or there might be people in his room changing sheets, taking his blood pressure, etc. And there's also the chance that the cell reception's not it's best.

Cards would be nice, too. The address is:

Gary Stephen Burtner
Room 15-D
Californian-Pasadena
120 Bellefontaine St.
Pasadena, CA 91105

On the studio front, I have the chamber directory going (including all the ads), and I'm starting up a website redesign for a local poet. I've probably told you that before. Looks like Steve's not the only one who's mental acuity is suffering. In any case, I've got the base template for the directory pretty much finished, and I'm collecting the copy and artwork for the website as she sends it over.

I am so lucky to have the clients I do: they're all nice people with interesting content and a real openness to my design ideas. I only hope my good luck continues on that front.

So, no long tirade this evening, just a little update. Hopefully, in four of five weeks, Steve will be home and I won't be making the twice-daily jaunt over to see him, because he'll be downstairs.

No comments: