Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December Is Here

The lst of December. It's in the low 70s during the day and dips into the upper 30s at night and that translates to cold, wintery weather here in Southern California. Add a little rain to that, and everyone starts singing Christmas carols.

I thought this was an appropriate day to make my first holiday posting, since Hanukkah started this evening.

So here is my first holiday season cartoon. I started this last year and decided to continue the tradition this year. This is actually a reprise of the first cartoon from last December. It was so popular back then, I decided to repeat it.



On the work front, no official word yet from Variety, but I'm pretty sure they hired someone younger and prettier, since I'm not getting answers back from my e-mails to the HR manager there. Same goes for the HR person at Thibiant, so I seem to be back at Square One, jobwise. And, thanks to the Republicans, my unemployment will run out at the end of the month and we get to start dipping into savings to pay the bills.

I did get a call from a woman at a temp agency in West L.A., and I've got an appointment with her on Friday to come in and take their tests and sign up for possible temp assignments. I told her I wasn't really interested in anything less than three months in length, and what I'm really looking for is permanent full time. She said a lot of places are hiring temp to feel the waters before they start adding back to the staffs they cut back in the last few years. It may just be a line temp agencies use, but it would make sense to have some short-term gigs on the resume and keep my hand in the game, as it were.

I'm seriously considering starting up a design business of my own, since I have pretty much everything I need to make that happen. I'm really lousy at marketing, though, so the first year or two might be rough going, but I'm getting really sick of sending out resumes and getting nothing back. I have yet to sit down and crunch the numbers on the idea, but perhaps now is the time to take just such a dramatic step in my life.

We got a new Christmas tree from Stats last weekend, a prelighted one. The old tree has seen a decade of seasonal service and was looking rather ragged. The new one has branch tips that look just like the real thing, not green bottle brushes. We started putting ornaments on it this evening. Photos will follow once it is fully decked.

Hope your holiday season is starting off well and will continue to bring happiness and joy.

No comments: