Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Today is Today

Yes, I'm really writing this entry on the 8th. The fact that I just finished writing the entry for the 7th means I don't have a whole lot to add just now.

Here's our Christmas cartoon: Popeye! It's a colorized version, and it is your basic Popeye cartoon: Popeye and Olive Oyl together, Bluto mashes Olive, Olive gets in grave danger when she rejects Mr. B's advances, Popeye eats spinach and saves the day. The American icon of competition and violence, except this one ends with a Christmas tree and holiday greetings (this tree is not created by a magical Santa, however; it is the direct result of violence of one human on another). The real message of Popeye, though, is the futility of wanting to possess another, especially someone as bung-ugly as Ms. Oyl.



And now that I'm caught up on my blog entries, I think I'll hop in the shower, throw on some clothes (it's 72 and sunny outside) and maybe go out and do a little Christmas shopping.

No comments: